Green Glue™ Damping Compound (Drywall, Subfloor)
Green Glue is a non-toxic, high performance damping compound designed for use between building materials (often drywall). Green Glue is an easy-to-apply and cost-effective solution that improves sound isolation and reduces structure-borne noise.
- Viscoelastic damping compound applied between two rigid layers of material (often drywall)
- Improve STC ratings in a wide variety of construction configurations
- Used between layers of building materials: drywall (5/8" for soundproofing), OSB, MDF, 1/2" plywood, and cement board
- Size: 28oz tube
- Coverage: 16 sq ft per tube. 2 tubes should be used per 32 sq ft of drywall (4' x 8'). 3 tubes will improve performance. Do not use more than 3 tubes.
- Color: Green(ish)
- No odor (mild until dry)
- Application temperature range: 40°F to 90°F
- Working time: 15 minutes
- Shelf life: 1 year
|Architect CSI Spec||Green Glue CSI Spec|
- Green Glue is the "go to" product for creating a sound proof room
- Between layers of 5/8" drywall for soundproofing existing walls, a sound proof wall and soundproofing ceiling, great mass loaded vinyl alternative
- Decouple plywood for soundproofing between floors
- Green Glue performs well as long as the two sheet layers are flat and rigid.
- Do not use between one or two soft layers. Do not use as wall insulation or for exterior applications. Do not freeze.
- Standard performance requires (2) 28 oz tubes per 4' x 8' sheet of drywall. 3 tubes can be used to improve performance.
- Cut the end of the tube. Screw on the nozzle and cut the end with a 3/8" opening.
- Apply Green Glue using a standard (32 oz) caulk gun. The pattern should be random. Leave a 3" border around the drywall to allow for easy handling.
- Press board into position and fasten with screws. Do not allow compound to sit for more than 15 minutes before attaching. Green Glue is not an adhesive. You still must use fasteners.
- Seal the edges of the drywall with acoustic sealant caulk.
|Tested Properties||Test Method||Performance|
|Water Vapor Transmission||
ASTM E 96
|Optimal Performance Temperature Range||
60°F to 85°F
7 Days (30 to peak performance)
|VOC Content||<2g / L|
|Solids Content||68% +/- 5%|